The minutes of the June meeting, published Wednesday, show MPC members believed risks to medium-term inflation expectations severe enough to warrant discussion on an immediate rise in bank rate.
"If there were a serious threat to medium-inflation expectations then a pre-emptive rise in rates would be appropriate," the minutes said. "Delay would only increase t
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- BoE’s Forbes points to bias among overworked MPC members
- Asset purchase programme is key to central bank credibility – ECB paper
- UK payments regulator unveils competition reforms
- OCC warns on cyber risks from subpar patches at US banks