George warned that Britain would risk economic hardship if it scrapped the pound in favor of the euro at its current rate. Despite its recovery over the last month, the euro has lost about one quarter of its value against the dollar since its launch in January 1999.
Entering at the present exchange rate would put "uncomfortable" expansionary pressures on
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- BoE’s Forbes points to bias among overworked MPC members
- Asset purchase programme is key to central bank credibility – ECB paper
- UK payments regulator unveils competition reforms
- OCC warns on cyber risks from subpar patches at US banks