The competition watchdog is to be given the power to impose heavy fines on the cheque, credit card and cash machine systems if they fail to foster innovation and open up to new members.
The Treasury will today set out plans for new legislation to regulate payments systems for the first time by putting the Office of Fair Trading in charge of the industry.
The move will surprise many in the in
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- Commission should have power to order CCPs to relocate to EU – Cœuré
- Asset purchase programme is key to central bank credibility – ECB paper
- BoE’s Haldane examines changing nature of work
- Indonesian banks will switch to reserves averaging in July