Central Banking (CB): The Czech National Bank's legal mandate is to maintain price stability and, if this is achieved, to support the economic policy of the government. How much weight do you place on the second part of that objective?
Zdenek Tuma (ZT): For me the second part was always something included to please politicians. We didn't originally define the objective in this way, but it was added when we entered the European Union. I have always regarded it as nonsensical and immaterial from
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- BoE economists criticise DSGE inflation modelling
- Indonesian deputy Perry on revolutionising monetary and financial policy
- Commission should have power to order CCPs to relocate to EU – Cœuré
- South African governor rejects calls to change mandate